Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Raegan's Dermatology Appointment

Forewarning- this will probably be a boring info filled post mostly for my self, but i know there are some family members that wouldn't mind hearing the details-so here they are...

The first thing she told me is that they are finding new things out about eczema-this last year they have determined that it is in fact a genetic defect. She also gave some more info about the skin breaking down, unable to heal itself ect. ect.

After being canceled last week due to the dr being sick we got rescheduled for this morning. I love the dermatologist, Avery has seen her before and she is wonderful. She said the most important thing we need to do right now is get her itching under control-THANK YOU!!- For this she has prescribed Atarax- Avery is on this and Ethan has been in the past.

She prescribed a rx shampoo for her hair and is to be bathed in Cetaphil. I can use the Triamcinolone ointment(steroid) on her head, which i had no idea i could do. This should help heal her head. I then have Hydrocortisone ointment for her face and groin area. We will continue to use Vanicream, aquafor ect for moisturizers.

Another thing she is having us do for her head is- Domboro soaks- some type of anesthetic that you mix with water and soak gauze in and apply to scalp.

The biggest concern with her is to keep her from infection (she stressed the fact of keeping her away from anyone with a cold sore- because this could cause a staph or strep infection all over her body)

She suggested that we get set up with the allergist (which i have already done-she goes Thursday at 11 am) she said-" i don't want to go against what your dr says but i would switch her formula to the nutramigen (hypoallergenic). "I will wait and see what the allergist says on Thursday but i wouldn't doubt at all if he says the same thing.

They will be watching her weight gain, that being another concern that she not drop off the growth curve. Right now she is doing fine with that, but she said it needs to be monitored. She weighed 15 lbs today. We will be following up in 1 month with her.

I feel like we are actually getting somewhere now...

On a side note, much to my horror while talking with the dr Etahn found a pen and colored their entire chair! The nurses assured me it will come off with alcohol, but i just about died!

5 comments:

Marilee We Roll Along said...

Elisa, I believe that you had a productive appt. and it sounds like a good plan for helping your little sweetheart. I smiled re Ethan leaving "his mark" at the office!

John and Melanie said...

Oh Elisa, when do you have time to post. It sounds like all the treatments would take up most of your day. At least with all that hopefully Raegan will start doing better and not scratch herself.

The Lanker Family said...

I am so glad she gave you so much help with so many different treatments. I am sure that feels like such a relief. That wasn't a long boring post at all. I hope this is the start to helping Raegan feel better.

Paula said...

Praise God for the progress made-hopefully Raegan will get some much needed relief. I could just see Ethan coloring that chair!! :)

The Smith World said...

I'm convinced you're the very definition of "super mom"
I hope everything works out and Raegan can get some relief!!!