Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Our Itchy Little Raegan



"hey mommy, why are you taking pictures back there?"
"this is the life mommy!"


Let me preface this by saying: I am so thankful that Raegan is healthy, this is so minor in comparison to what some have to deal with, i don't take that for granted one bit- that being said- I hate eczema!! Raegan has literally scratched or rubbed almost all of the hair off the back of her head. We keep her hands covered at all times except for when she is wide awake and playing with toys. When she begins to get tired, that's when the scratching begins. I was hesitant to post pictures but we dealt with this with Avery when she was a baby and i wish i could look back to compare. I have come to grips with the fact that i am probably going to be sleeping with my daughter in the living room on me for the 2nd half of the night until we can get her itching under control. She will sleep a few good hrs most nights the first half of the night, after that it's not so good sleep that she or mommy get's.- You can tell that she is miserable. She sleeps in a bunting that she has no way of getting her hands out of which helps some, but she still rubs her head which makes it ooze. We have been trying benadryl lately which seems to do nothing for her, and doesn't even seem to make her sleepy like they said it would. She has eczema all over her body but so far her head is the hardest part to control. I have hopes that as it warms up that it may get better as Ethan's did but only time will tell.

She really likes to be close to us so we carry her in this carrier if we want to get anything done and she loves it. A hat has really helped to but she is figuring out how to get her hands up under it some, but it still helps most of the time.

The one thing that is very frustrating to me is : I can handle a baby crying, it's ok to let them cry some so that you can get things done ect, in normal situations- I cannot let her cry, because if i do she scratches and she will be literally making herself bleed within a few minutes-in the car when she cries i really stress and constantly ask the kids if she is scratching. They are very good about helping me by putting the socks back on her hands or hat on her head or anything to try to prevent her scratching, but it really stresses me out!

We are going to the dermatologist tomorrow, and i am hoping they can give me something to help her a bit. Sorry for the whiny post but i just had to vent my feelings on it all.

5 comments:

June Duehring said...

I feel for you, Elisa. It makes me want to cry just thinking about having to deal with that.

I hope they give you some great advice tomorrow that will help her.

She is so cute with that little hat on. She kept smiling so big last night every time she looked at me.

grammaneir said...

Such a sweetie! We hurt for you and Raegan and pray for God's healing.

John and Melanie said...

Oh sorry, Elisa! Hopefully the doctor will have good news for you. She is such a cutie and has an adorable little smile.

A Full House said...

How frustrating? Were you able to get her another appt soon? I hope the dr can figure out something to help her. She does have such a pretty little smile!

Paula said...

Poor Reagan(and Elisa). It breaks my heart to see her in so much pain and you guys getting no sleep. :( Hopefully the dr can give her some medicine to help. I think a side definition for blog is "vent".