Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Trip To The ER





Well right at nap time today i got a call from the school. "I have Trey here in the office..." My first thought was, oh great he is sick again. It wasn't that but he had gotten hit by a hockey stick in pe class. Their concern was that it split through his "vermillion border" (which i had never heard that term before) and she thought that it would probably need to be stitched by a plastic surgeon because of how it might heal. I called his regular dr and they advised us the same way and sent us downtown to Childrens Mercy. The school nurse hadn't said anything about stitches to him so i had to tell him once we were in the van and he got pretty upset. After talking for awhile though he calmed down till we got to the ER and then started freaking out a bit again. We didn't have to wait at all, they got us right back and the dr was awesome with Trey. When they told him they had to give him a shot in his lip he got really upset-once he made it through the shot but then he thought he needed a a break before they started with the stitches. He said " can we at least pray first mommy". I said a little prayer for him and he really got a lot calmer. he kept making these moaning noises while they were stitching and he told me " i was doing that to help myself stay calm." I felt so bad for him but he was a very brave boy. He got 3 stitches and it looked great when they were all done. He got some hot wheels and they all got popsicles. Johnny got there right as we were finished, so i had all the kids in the room with us the whole time and they did awesome for me. Thank goodness!!

2 comments:

June Duehring said...

Wow! I have never heard of that either. I probably would have just thought I could let it heal on its own and then had the lip look all funny.

Way to be brave Trey. I would have been scared, too.

Unknown said...

That is such a sweet story about Trey asking for prayer before the stitching! How precious! I'm ao glad all the kids were well behaved for you!